dr. S. (Suzanne) Oosterwijk
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group Social Psychology
Nieuwe Achtergracht 129 Amsterdam
Room number: 2.30
1001 NK Amsterdam
My overarching research interest is the interplay between the mind and the body. I am specifically interested in how concepts and bodily states interact to produce the experience of emotion in the individual, but I am also interested in how this interaction relates to the understanding of emotion in other people.
How the brain constructs emotion
In one line of work, I investigate how the brain constructs emotions and other mental states. In several research projects I examine how neural systems that support conceptualization and the representation and generation of bodily states, engage during a great variety of subjective experiences, including discrete emotions (e.g., fear, disgust, morbid fascination), thoughts and perceptions. Furthermore, I am examining how emotional associations arise and how they are represented in the brain.
Recently, I received a VENI grant to start investigating morbid curiosity. Although we know from real life that people regularly approach and explore highly intense negative stimuli, we know very little about this phenomenon from the perspective of psychological science. In this research project, I will study when people experience morbid curiosity and how this experience is represented in the brain and body.
The embodiment of emotion concepts
During my PhD project I examined the link between conceptual representations of emotion and bodily states. Based on embodied cognition theories I hypothesized that bodily mechanisms involved in emotional experience are also partially active when people read, think and talk about emotions. Several behavioral and physiological experiments supported this hypothesis. For example, I demonstrated that spontaneous changes in body posture occur when people think about disappointment. Currently, I am using neuroimaging methods to investigating the simulation of internal and external states when people understand emotions and other mental states in language.
In March 2011 I received my PhD from the University of Amsterdam. Following my PhD period, I worked as a postdoctoral fellow with Dr. Lisa Feldman Barrett at the Interdisciplinary Affective Science Laboratory (Northeastern University) in Boston. I received my neuroimaging training at the Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging in Boston. Currently, I am working as a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Social Psychology at the University of Amsterdam.
- Oosterwijk, S., Lindquist, K. A., Adebayo, M., & Feldman Barrett, L. (2016). The neural representation of typical and atypical experiences of negative images: comparing fear, disgust and morbid fascination. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 11(1), 11-22. DOI: 10.1093/scan/nsv088 [details]
- Oosterwijk, S., van der Leij, A. R., & Rotteveel, M. (2016). Associating LIPS and SWOLLEN: Delayed attentional disengagement following words in sex contexts. Cognition & Emotion. [details]
- Wagenmakers, E. J., Beek, T., Dijkhoff, L., Gronau, Q. F., Acosta, A., Adams, R. B., ... Zwaan, R. A. (2016). Registered Replication Report: Strack, Martin, & Stepper (1988). Perspectives on Psychological Science, 11(6), 917-928. DOI: 10.1177/1745691616674458 [details]
- Fischer, A. H., Eagly, A. H., & Oosterwijk, S. (2013). The meaning of tears: Which sex seems emotional depends on the social context. European Journal of Social Psychology, 43(6), 505-515. DOI: 10.1002/ejsp.1974 [details]
- Lindquist, K. A., Gendron, M., Oosterwijk, S., & Barrett, L. F. (2013). Do people essentialize emotions? Individual differences in emotion essentialism and emotional experience. Emotion, 13(4), 629-644. DOI: 10.1037/a0032283 [details]
- Oosterwijk, S., Lindquist, K. A., Anderson, E., Dautoff, R., Moriguchi, Y., & Feldman Barrett, L. (2012). States of mind: emotions, body feelings, and thoughts share distributed neural networks. NeuroImage, 62(3), 2110-2128. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2012.05.079 [details]
- Oosterwijk, S., Winkielman, P., Pecher, D., Zeelenberg, R., Rotteveel, M., & Fischer, A. H. (2012). Mental states inside out: Switching costs for emotional and nonemotional sentences that differ in internal and external focus. Memory & Cognition, 40(1), 93-100. DOI: 10.3758/s13421-011-0134-8 [details]
- Oosterwijk, S., Rotteveel, M., Fischer, A. H., & Hess, U. (2009). Embodied emotion concepts: How generating words about pride and disappointment influences posture. European Journal of Social Psychology, 39(3), 457-466. DOI: 10.1002/ejsp.584 [details]
- Oosterwijk, S., Topper, M., Rotteveel, M., & Fischer, A. H. (2009). Wanneer we denken over angst, leeft ons lichaam mee. Jaarboek Sociale Psychologie, 2009, 329-340. [details]
- O'Brien, O., Oosterwijk, S., & Barrett, L. F. (2016). Where do people feel emotions in their body? A quantitative implementation of the Emotionally Vague project. In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Design & Emotion. (pp. 547-552) [details]
- Oosterwijk, S., Touroutoglou, A., & Lindquist, K. A. (2015). The neuroscience of construction: what neuroimaging approaches can tell us about how the brain creates the mind. In L. Feldman Barrett, & J. A. Russell (Eds.), The psychological construction of emotion (pp. 111-143). New York: Guilford Press. [details] [PDF]
- Oosterwijk, S., & Feldman Barret, L. (2014). Embodiment in the construction of emotion experience and emotion understanding. In L. Shapiro (Ed.), Routledge handbook of embodied cognition (pp. 250-260). (Routledge handbooks in philosophy). New York: Routledge. DOI: 10.4324/9781315775845.ch24 [details]
- Oosterwijk, S. (Author). (2015). Neuroskeptic (neuroscience blogger 66.745 followers): "The car-crash-watching brain: neural correlates of morbid fascination". [details]
- Oosterwijk, S. (2015). Rubriek "De rondvraag". Spiegeloog, Dec15. [details]
- Oosterwijk, S. (2015). Waarom dat nare gevoel in mijn buik als ik iets heftigs zie? Volkskrant / rubriek Gezond. [details]
- Oosterwijk, S. (2015). Where is my mind? Horizon Magazine, the online EU research and innovation magazine.. [details]
- Oosterwijk, S., Rotteveel, M., & Fischer, A. H. (2012). Denken met het lichaam. De Psycholoog, 47(3), 12-24. [details]
- Oosterwijk, S. (2011). Moving the mind: embodied emotion concepts and their consequences [details / files]
- Oosterwijk, Suzanne (13-07-2015): Interview over belichaamde emoties. [Radio] Funx radio. Interview over belichaamde emoties..
- Oosterwijk, S. (2013): Innovative Research Incentives Scheme VENI grant.
- Oosterwijk, S. (2010): Early career best paper award 2009 from the European Journal of Social Psychology..
- Oosterwijk, S. (member) (2015): ASPO (External organisation).
- Oosterwijk, S. (organiser) & Bliss-Moreau, E. (organiser) (10-7-2014): Preconference presented prior to the European Association of Social Psychology (EASP) General Meeting of 2014, Amsterdam (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- Oosterwijk, S. (organiser) & Noordewier, M.K. (organiser) (2014): Two-day track presented at the Kurt Lewin Institute (KLI) conference 2014, Zeist, the Netherlands (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- No ancillary activities