The ADFES is a rich stimulus set of 648 filmed emotional expressions. It is
distinct from previous sets for several reasons:
- It consists of dynamic expressions rather than static pictures.
- It features displays of nine emotions: the six ‘basic’ emotions (anger,
disgust, fear, joy, sadness, and surprise), as well as contempt, pride and
- Expressions are displayed by 22 models (10 female, 12 male).
- It included North-European and Mediterranean models.
- It utilizes active head-turning to clarify the directedness of the
For these reasons, we expect that this stimulus set is useful for various
types of research. The ADFES is freely available to investigators for use in
scientific research. No commercial use of the set is permitted.
The stimuli in the ADFES have been validated in two studies and received
excellent recognition rates. More information about the creation and validation
of the set can be found in:
- Van der Schalk, J., Hawk, S. T., Fischer, A. H., & Doosje, B. J. (2011).
Moving faces, looking places: The Amsterdam Dynamic Facial Expressions Set
(ADFES), Emotion, 11, 907-920. DOI: 10.1037/a0023853